Many water companies have on-going catchment management schemes or have plans for investigations in AMP6. The planned environmental outcomes for these schemes may not be realised for a number of years. However, progress needs to be tracked by each company to demonstrate to their internal and external stakeholders that the investment is working.
The UKWIR framework for quantification of the benefits of water quality catchment management schemes developed by WRc provides a means to create snapshots that can be used to map progress. The basic components within the framework include the level of engagement with stakeholders, the degree to which measures have been implemented, progress with monitoring, and changes in load at the field/farm/sub-catchment/catchment scale. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) can be derived for each component, along with a data flow and calculation process; these could include the extent to which ecosystem service benefits are being accrued.
This project will provide:
A dashboard representation of identified KPIs as an attractive, customisable, graphical summary to report 'live' progress to a wide range of stakeholders.
The KPIs, and the Dashboard could also be further customised, branded and incorporated by an individual company into its intranet, external websites or developed into mobile/tablet apps.
BUSINESS BENEFITS TO CLIENTS
- 'Live' reporting of progress with catchment management schemes and investigations to improve internal and external stakeholder engagement, create greater awareness and interest and therefore buy-in to the value of investing in long-term actions.
- Scope and agree range of KPIs to be developed.
- Develop KPIs with associated data flows and calculation processes
- Develop a spreadsheet tool to calculate KPIs with graphical representations displayed as a 'Dashboard' using the capability of MS Excel.
PROJECT OUTPUT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- A series of KPIs for components of catchment management schemes
- A customisable Dashboard using the capability of MS Excel to display the KPIs and to demonstrate progress towards the scheme's environmental objectives
RELATED WRc WORK
- Framework for quantifying the benefits of water quality catchment management initiatives for UKWIR
- Evaluation of progress of the Catchment Sensitive Farming project towards its environmental objectives and assessment of its potential to deliver wider ecosystem service benefits for the Environment Agency