Reliable and robust monitoring is fundamental for process control, energy optimisation and risk management in wastewater treatment. Key parameters are ammonia and nitrate. The relatively new technology of ISE ammonium and nitrate monitors are available but do they make good business sense?
Ammonia and nitrate are measured on-line using colorimetric analysers, gas sensitive membrane electrodes and Ion Selective Electrodes (ISEs). The ISE approach has the advantage of allowing measurement directly in the wastewater with lower capex costs. This is balanced against the commonly cited limitations of drift and sensitivity, and the fact that ISE probes measure ammonium not ammonia.
There have been trials of colorimetric ammonia analysers. Water companies now need robust information and data on the level of performance and total cost of ownership of ISE ammonium and nitrate monitors so that informed investment decisions can be made on this relatively new technology.
This project will make use of the infrastructure established for the current DO monitor trials (CP477) at Severn Trent Water's Wanlip wastewater treatment works to undertake a comprehensive trial of wastewater ammonium and nitrate ISE probes.
BUSINESS BENEFITS TO CLIENTS
- Fully informed instrument selection and procurement based on real-life costs, performance and maintenance.
- Improved process control with reduced risk of compliance failure, reduced energy costs, and carbon emissions.
- Specific requirements fed back to the supply chain to support the further development of technologies.
Production of supplier briefing document and selection of trial instruments via open invitation.
- Six month site trial at Wanlip wastewater treatment works.
- Analysis of performance and cost of ownership for each system.
- Reporting of the results, with appropriate comparisons and performance details; individual summary reports for each of the instruments will also be produced.
PROJECT OUTPUT AND IMPLEMENTATION
Detailed report with independent evidence on the performance and full cost of ownership of selected ISE based ammonium and nitrate probes to allow operators and procurement engineers to select the most cost-effective system.
RELATED WRc WORKRelated WRc Work
- Independent testing and evaluation of instrumentation for both supply chain and end users including MCERTS.
- CP477 Trial of wastewater dissolved oxygen monitors, ongoing.