Project Appreciation and Objectives
The role of hydraulic models in water companies is evolving. Traditionally hydraulic models have been used for off-line strategic network planning activities. However, as real time control becomes feasible, all network, highly calibrated hydraulic models are becoming a key component of more dynamic, real-time decision support tools.
Real time data can now be used for calibrating models and facilitating predictive modelling. However, for this approach to be fully effective, and for companies to realise the full potential and benefits, changes to the asset inventory need to be reflected in the hydraulic model in near real time. This requires careful integration of a number of separate activities.
Currently, companies extract data from their GIS Asset Inventory into hydraulic modelling packages. Hydraulic models are then developed by specialist teams. There is therefore an inherent gap between hydraulic models and the asset inventory. This project will:
- define the role of the hydraulic model in a real time environment;
- develop a framework to manage the data flows in order to maintain and calibrate hydraulic models and to ensure that data are collected to the quality that the new role demands;
- apply the approach to both water and wastewater hydraulic modelling.
Benefits to Clients
- Consistent approach across the business through use of a management framework to enable the further evolution of hydraulic models for real time control to increase efficiency and achieve cost reductions.
- Improved confidence in model outputs for use in real time analyses to improve operation, reduce reaction times and become more proactive in network management.
- Have a clear definition of the role and benefits of both water and wastewater hydraulic models in company operations to guide capital investment in modelling.
- Document a high-level modelling process and identify current modelling approaches
- Document a detailed modelling process
- Confirm current modelling approaches
- Produce illustrations of operational uses and benefits
- Process maps highlighting data requirements for real-time hydraulic modelling.
- Summary of current modelling approaches.
- Management framework to ensure real-time modelling process can be implemented and the benefits realised.
- Illustrations of operational uses and benefits.
Related WRc Work
- CP381 - Creating value from data - asset inventory data governance framework
- CP419 - Improving AMA through data quality
- CP401 - A Framework for Improving Telemetry Data Quality
- UKWIR - A framework for undertaking Catchment Management