Project Appreciation and Objectives
There are three options for the location of revenue meters; within the property, in an external (boundary) box or in a wall mounted box. Each location has advantages and limitations. Most companies now have policies on location for this AMP. Recent and emerging issues such as the performance of box covers, freezing of meters, increasing use of automatic meters reading (AMR) and changing requirements on street works, together with the introduction of smart meters challenge the conventional assumptions and mean that it is timely to put an evidence-based framework in place for future policiies
The objectives are to:
- Identify issues associated with the three options against a list of factors with influence selection of location
- Develop a cost benefit framework through which water companies can assess the whole life costs and benefits of each location and specific projects.
- Develop a Good Practice Guide which identifies the key considerations for installers, including self-lay operators and contractors, in each location.
Benefits to Clients
- Evidence against which to make future decisions affecting household meter location.
- Good practice guidance that can be shared with developers and SLOs to avoid future performance probems, associated with each location.
- Identify issues through literature research and project workshop
- Agree factors which influence selection of location
- Collate evidence on advantages / limitations, and costs / benefits of each location.
- Develop cost benefit framework and populate with typical industry date, validate and demonstrate approach.
- Prepare Good Practice Guide
- Report detailing the advantages and limitations of the three locations against factors which influent selection of location.
- Good Practice Guide to maximise the performance of products in each location.
- Cost benefit framework which can be tailored by participants to assess whole life costs and benefits of each location and specific products.
- IMI Meter Operations Group projects: metering regulations, cost benefit of metering, practical issues associated with implementing metering policies (difficult cases).
- Preparation of the Code of Practice for Laying of Water Mains and Services (and Water for Scotland)
- Comparative testing of meters and AMR solutions for individual clients.
- Development of WIS 4-37-01 (Specificaton for boundary boxes) and assessment of the performance of external and wall meter boxes under WRc Approved Scheme.
- Cost benefit analysis of metering policies CP222a