Project Appreciation and Objectives
Four drivers exist for a timely study to improve undertstanding of outdoor water use:
- The new Water Use (Temporary Banks) Order 2010
- Water Company Demand Forecasts for Water Resource Management Plans
- Leakage reporting
- Water efficiencies
Outdoor water use is highly variable and difficult to quantify. Comprehensive assessment of this use requires evidence that will be delivered by this project
Benefits to Clients
- Recognition of the evidence-based outputs by the EA.
- Improved demand forecasting of outdoor water use activities, calculation of night use analysis, and design of water efficiency programmes to reach targets, through analysis of the evidence collected.
- Understand of where water is used outdoors to help prevent costly bans on outdoor activities that have low use, and facilitate communication with customers.
Devised in conjunction with the participants of a workshop held at WRc, there is a project decision point at the end of Phase One. The first phase allows:
- Initial identification of why a householder uses water outdoors and variation between different household types; and
- confirmation of methodology by undertaking a pilot of diary use within your company's staff
Phase Two will confirm the findings from Phase One by collection of data from consumption monitoring and analysis with DMA flow data:
- Monitoring exercise using WRc's Identiflow® equipment for 100 properties.
- Use of DMA flow data, and qualitative results from questionnaires and diaries to provide results applicable to individual companies.
- Assessment of the potential future impact of climate change on outdoor wter use.
- Information to meet objectives of the project including individual components of outdoor water use, and the prevalence of each of these (frequency and quantity of water use).
Project Output from Phase One
- Replicable and reusable customer-focused questionnaire and water use diary in online and paper formats
- Interim project report with headline conclusions and recommendations regarding cohorts of customers with likely similar outdoor water use behaviour
Project Output from Phase Two
- Database of outdoor water use events collected using WRc's Identiflow® system.
- Final project report including details of all analyses; headline conclusions and recommendations for each identified objective aligned with drivers.
- Project executive summary report to be publically available detailing an overview of research undertaken and headline conclusions and recommendations.
WRc is the market leader in quantifying micro-components of household water use as demonstrated in previous collaborative projects using the Identiflow® system.