The European Water Framework Directive aims to establish a framework for the protection and enhancement of all inland surface waters, transitional waters, coastal waters and groundwater. This research, sponsored by the UK Water Industry Research (UKWIR), provided an understanding of the Water Framework Directive (WFD) and its potential impact on the UK water industry.
The study focused the water industry's efforts, with respect to the Water Framework Directive (WFD), in the following areas:
- Potential business impacts of the WFD, characterised by priority and magnitude
- Other stakeholders and possible partners
- Potential funding requirements for the asset planning cycle and the Asset Management Plans (AMP4 and beyond)
- Policy issues and appropriate policy positioning statements
- Areas of uncertainty that need further analysis and research.