Project Appreciation and Objectives
The Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) is a mandatory cap and trade emissions trading scheme due to commence in April 2010 covering large, non energy-intensive sectors including the water industry. The Government expects water companies to fully meet any obligations under the CRC and that no barriers will be put in place to achieving the scheme's objectives and requirements.
The first Water Framework Directive (WFD) River Basin Management Plans were published in December 2009. Concern has been expressed by the Water Industry and Ofwat that the Programmes of Measures have been unfairly focused on the Water Industry. The water industry is also concerned about the conflict between a potentially increased carbon footprint to meet more stringent WFD standards in receiving waters, and the achievement of its CRC obligations.
This project will calculate carbon budgets for WFD Programmes of Measures to establish if there are alternative ways of meeting WFD catchment standards that also contribute to meeting carbon reduction objectives.
Benefits to Clients
- Informed information to support negotiations with regulators to obtain a fairer apportionment of costs and benefits of WFD measures, whilst helping it to achieve its CRC obligations.
- Hold start-up meeting with Project Steering Group to finalise the terms of reference for the study.
- Identify sectors contributing to WFD Programme of Measures.
- Review carbon balances and accounts associated with activities of the identified sectors.
- Assess comparability of the methods associated with each activity and sector.
- Develop a potential integrated method for harmonised carbon accounting of WFD Programme of Measures.
- Test proposed method on a WFD Programme of Measures.
- Present findings to the Project Steering Group.
- Revise and finalise method with recommendations on how it could be applied and further developed to fill any identified information gaps or method incomparabilities.
- An integrated methodology for carbon accounting of Programmes of Measures.
Related WRc Work
- The Carbon Accounting Workbook. UKWIR, 2008-2009.
- WFD Sustainable Treatment Solutions for Achieving Good Ecological Status. UKWIR, 2007-2008.
- Management of work to undertake a scoping study on the carbon balance of hydropower under the WFD Framework contract (DG ENV 2009)
- Technical assistance to support implementation of the Water Framework Directive. Directorate General, Environment (DG ENV), 2002- ongoing.