Project Appreciation and Objectives
Aeration Plants (activated sludge, sequencing batch reactors, biological aerated filters, submerged aerated filters) routinely use significant amounts of energy directly associated with aeration provision. The efficiency of these plants depends on a range of factors which include, the type of process installed, the design of individual plants, the flexibility of aeration plant control systems and the management of related treatment processes.
The high energy costs and carbon emissions associated with operating aeration plants presents a major challenge to the water utilities. Whilst water utilities have undertaken a range of initiatives to reduce costs in this area, opportunities for further substantial savings remain. This project is focusing on four key areas:
- Management of aeration equipment - filters, diffusers, blowers, aerators, oxygen transfer, achieving turndown efficiently;
- Control systems - economics and sophistication level appropriate for size/type of plant, new developments in control methods;
- Sensors for ASP control, what to use, how to operate; and
- Effective management of associated treatment processes.
Benefits to Clients
- Substantial, sustainable energy / cost savings / reduction in carbon emissions.
- A clearly defined methodology to deliver aeration plant efficiency across the organisation, supported by a bespoke solution evaluation software tool.
- Quantification of expected savings as energy / carbon.
- Identification of a range of efficiency measures from minimal cost treatment / process control improvements to capital maintenance and investment opportunities.
- Liaison with other participants and project partners to learn about novel technologies and approaches.
- Investigate the energy efficiency opportunities associated with the management of aeration equipment, control systems, sensors and treatment processes.
- Identify methodologies and data requirements to support the delivery of aeration plant efficiency / energy savings.
- Develop a bespoke solution evaluation software tool to support the aeration plant efficiency / energy saving initiative.
- Facilitate client meetings to support networking, knowledge sharing and liaison with project partners
- A bespoke solution evaluation software tool to support the aeration plant efficiency / energy saving initiative.
- A manual containing methodologies and data requirements to support the delivery of aeration plant efficiency / energy savings.
- Knowledge transfer from meetings with participants and project partners.
Related WRc Work
- Pumps - Optimisation & replacement, CP348a, 2009-ongoing
- Comparing energy efficiency: Where are we good?, CP310, 2007-ongoing