Project Appreciation and Objectives
FOG cause major operational problems for sewer system operators; costing the industry an estimated £15 million each year. Resulting in blockages (in small diameter pipes) and encouraging sediment build up in sewers, FOG is indirectly responsible for sewer flooding and also causes problems at pumping stations and treatment works inlets.
With specialist input from Imperial College and DBI - drain cleaning specialists, this project developed a programme to significantly reduce the amount of FOG discharged to sewer and improve its management and clean-up.
Benefits to Clients
- Considerably lower OPEX costs, through reduced cleaning and blockage clearance.
- Reduced risk of sewer blockages and consequent flooding.
- Improved customer relations with fewer complaints about serviceability, blockages and flooding.
- Better design solutions and operational practices to minimise FOG problems.
- Clear legal guidance on FOG disposal routes.