The capital cost TR61 software, previously at Version 6, enables water utility staff to rapidly develop capital cost estimates for a comprehensive range of assets. The software contained cost estimating functions developed from a database of approximately two thousand construction contracts and includes:
- Water and sewage treatment works
- Pumping stations and service reservoirs
- Water mains and sewers
- Sea outfalls.
Capital costs for complete treatment works could be estimated by selecting an appropriate template and flow value. The software then sized the key elements and estimates their costs. Results, with 90% confidence limits, were produced with civil and mechanical-electrical costs itemised for each process and/or asset.
In this follow-on project, which was funded by fourteen water supply companies and utilities, WRc produced:
1. Version 7 of the TR61 capital cost software using data from various contract types and produced models of final account capital costs. The trends in capital costs were also investigated and quantified to:
- derive a water industry specific inflation index.
- yield valuable information on the efficiency of different procurement procedures.
2. Complementary operating cost models.
TR61, subject to independent auditing and certification, is used with confidence in:
- Capital investment planning
- Estimating outline capital costs and to assist strategic investment decisions
- Asset valuation for current cost accounting procedures.
The operating cost models provide additional data to:
- Understand possible opex/capex trade-offs and whole-life costs
- Examine outsource operations activities
- Improve cost data for Regulatory submissions.