For the UK Water Industry, through UKWIR, this research assessed the impact of implementing the 2003 Water Act in the UK and requirements of laying and adopting public lateral drains.
The work :
- Assessed impacts of a public lateral being managed by the Undertaker without a demarcation chamber
- Identified suitable types of demarcation chambers that can be installed retrospectively or on new construction
- Set design guidelines for lateral pipes and demarcation chambers
- Identified a suitable specification for use in design of pipes / chambers
- Identified costs for providing suitable chambers for retrospectively fitting into drains as well as for new build
- Identified Health & Safety issues from owing / managing public lateral drains and advise on methods of managing risks
This research provided the UK industry with a better understanding of the most effective location for taking over responsibility for lateral drains in respect of operational maintenance / access and will provide a specification for public lateral drains and demarcation chambers needed.