Research and Development (R&D) ideas / projects undertaken in the water, waste and environment industry are mainly driven by business and environmental need. Organisations generally have processes in place to justify and prioritise R&D against this background. However, does the industry realise the full benefits of the R&D investment and are there better methods available to encourage implementation?
With pressure on budgets, there is a need to exploit all opportunities such as tax advantages and seeking greater value through high financial gearing. Joining large R&D programmes attains high gearing but this makes implementation harder and without good implementation, the benefits of R&D investment will not be realised.
This project has examined these issues and identified best practise in:
- Implementing R&D
- Tracking the benefits of R&D undertaken
- Maximising tax advantages associated with R&D.
WRc and 3 Water Utilities worked with the Electricity Research Association (ERA) on this project to incorporate experience and data from Government, and other Utilities including those in the electricity industry.
Benefits to Clients
- Realise full benefit of R&D investment
- Enhance implementation of R&D
- Enable benefits of R&D to be tracked and investment justified
- Maximise tax advantages available for undertaking R&D.