The inter-utility research was a unique benchmarking-based process that encompassed water production (abstraction and treatment) costs and performance. It brought together international and technical benchmarking which supported this knowledge and expertise in water treatment.
Starting from high-level objectives, the programme included a stakeholder analysis for each participant and an evaluation of approach to risk. Details of activity-based costing of operations and practices were examined by collaborators. Some quick wins were identified and strategic recommendations made for cost efficiency and performance improvement.
- Savings in water production Operating Expenditure (Opex) and Capital Expenditure (Capex)
- Comparison of performance against key performance indicators (KPI's) for peer group
- Assessment of technical proficiency of the selected works
- Examination of the status of corporate risk management
- Access to international best-practice operations and management technology
- Technology transfer to enhance in-house water production and benchmarking capabilities.